Monday 26 September 2011

Phil/Wednesday, 26th April


Problem. Sheena phoned me on my mobile to cancel our lunch date. She’s afraid Arthur will find out and it seems he’s the jealous type. I don’t know why she’s so bothered, this is totally innocent, just two old pals having a gab. I’d have no problems telling Veena, though I haven’t yet.


Sheena opened up a bit and told me she was having problems with Arthur. Seems he knocks her about now and again. No punches, just pushing and shoving, but she’s scared. I was furious and told her I’d go down and sort him out, but she said that would just make things worse. I offered her the services of a couple of brickies from one of the sites. When it comes to scaring people, these guys could give Dracula lessons. She laughed at that, but said it wouldn’t work.

“So, is that it?” I asked, “We bump into each other after all these years and then just disappear from each other’s lives again?”

“What were you expecting?” Her voice was soft, confidential.

“I don’t know. Talking. Remembering how daft we were when we were kids. Just a bit of fun.”

“You have a wife and child. I have a husband and two children. That makes it very difficult.”

“Hey, can people not just be pals any more?”

“Of course they can. But ....”

And it struck me like a bolt of lightning - Sheena was up for it!

“Listen, Sheena, I’m not chasing you. I’ve no intention of having a fling with you or anything like that. You can forget it.”

“Ohh.”

And she hung up on me.

I wanted to explain to her, but I hadn’t taken her number, didn’t want to seem pushy, gave her mine.

It’s good for the ego, knowing somebody fancies you, but a lucky escape methinks.

Big Phil called me into his office later. He’s actually shorter than me, but he’s rounder and he’s the boss, which is why he’s Big. Told me the rest of the guys were getting a bonus this month and I wasn’t. I didn’t have to ask him why. He’s just having his little bit of revenge because of last year.

Like he said, “What am I supposed to give you, a disloyalty bonus?”

No comments:

Post a Comment